The Best Entry Level Av Receiver For 2023
1. Best Overall: Sony STRDH590 5.2 Channel AV Receiver
With theater-like sound and advanced smart features, this receiver delivers a truly immersive home theater experience.
2. Runner-Up: YAMAHA RX-V385 AV Receiver
This unit features the exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology that supports playback of high-definition audio formats.
3. Best Connectivity: Sony STR-DH790 7.2-ch AV Receiver
The PURE DIRECT function of this machine can suppress front panel noise to provide higher quality sound for all audio inputs.
4. Best Dolby Atmos: Onkyo TX-SR494 AV Receiver
This is an audiophile-grade 5.2.2-channel A/V receiver with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer* and DTS Virtual:X immersive audio processing.
An AV receiver is a device that processes audio and video signals from various connected devices and outputs them simultaneously. The primary role of an AV receiver is to control speakers and other audio components with one set of cables.
If you’re new to home theater and have a limited budget, shopping for an AV receiver may seem like a daunting task. But as long as you know what to look for, purchasing the right receiver can be pretty straightforward.
In this article, we will discuss the best entry-level AV receivers available on the market today, so that you can make an informed decision before making your purchase. The Sony STRDH590 5.2 Channel AV Receiver deserves the spotlight as it's equipped with S Force PRO technology to deliver the best virtual surround sound, giving listeners a truly authentic cinematic experience.
RELATED: If you catch yourself wishing that you could own best receiver surround sound without spending too much effort, you are supposed to come to the right place!
Our Top Picks
- Smart Connectivity: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- In the box: Receivers include a calibration microphone, FM wire antenna, remote control, batteries
- Multi Function System: Enjoy a Multi Channel Stereo Setup, FM Radio Tuner and 1/4 Inches Headphone Jack
- NOTE: Scroll down the catalog to find installation Manual and User Guide for trouble shooting steps.
- Dynamic Setup: 4 Stereo Rca Audio Inputs and 2 Digital Audio Outputs (1 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4 in/1 out)
- Providing complete compatibility with the latest HDMI standards, this AV receiver delivers transmission of 4K video at 60 frames/second pass through; It also supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video including Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log Gamma which provides incredible contrast, smooth tone and rich, bright colors
- YPAO auto calibration technology for ideal sound, Exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology supports playback of HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc.), providing natural and expansive sound imaging
- Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Rated Output Power (20Hz 20kHz, 2ch driven) 70W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD); Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (Jeita) 145W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- 5.1 channel powerful surround sound
- 4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby vision, hybrid log gamma and BT.2020
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- PURE DIRECT FUNCTION: Suppresses front panel noise to provide higher-fidelity sound from all inputs
- LOW PROFILE DESIGN: STRDH790 Bluetooth receiver measures 5 1/4" tall to fit into most AV cabinets
- AUTO CALIBRATION: Advanced D.C.A.C. analyzes and adjusts the audio for optimal sound in every room
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- SMARTER CONNECTIVITY: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- IN THE BOX: AV receivers include a calibration microphone, FM antenna, remote control and batteries
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- AccuEQ with subwoofer EQ and AccuReflex
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer* and DTS Virtual:X
- 160 watts per channel
- Supports 4K/60p and HDR (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, BT.2020)
- 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos and DTS:X playback
Best For SONOS System
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104 7.2-ch Network AV Receiver
- Dolby Atmos/Dolby Surround Upmixing: The VSX-LX104 is compatible with 5.2.2ch configuration of the latest theater sound platform, Dolby Atmos.
- DTS:X/DTS Neural:X Upmixing: DTS:X is the next-generation audio codec from DTS that leverages object-based audio to enable new immersive and interactive audio experiences.
- Remote Controller
- Next Generation Video Standard Ready: The VSX-LX104 supports pass-through for HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), and Dolby Vision signals.
- Works with SONOS: By connecting the VSX-LX104 to Sonos Connect, you can play any music or audio source on your Sonos app.
- MCACC Auto Room Tuning: With the custom microphone, the system automatically compensates for differences in speaker size, level and distance, and equalizes response.
- DTS:X immersive audio formatting places sound where it would naturally occur in space, creating life-like, multi-dimensional audio. The included spatial remapping engine of DTS Neural:X offers improved immersion and heightened realism in all your favorite movies
- 7.1-channel 100 Watt surround sound with Zone 2
- Enhanced media and gaming features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video.
- This unique Yamaha proprietary sound field creation technology was created by combining measured sound field data with digital signal processing
- Feel every dimension in Dolby Atmos. Enjoy a 5.1 surround speaker system and two additional overhead speakers or two Dolby Atmos elevation speakers, delivering dramatic overhead effects for truly enveloping audio.
- Create the optimum acoustic environment with pioneer’s MCACC (multi-channel acoustic calibration system), developed with the expertise of professional recording studios. With the custom microphone, The system automatically compensates for differences in speaker size, level and distance, and equalizes response.
- Just press the personal preset button on the front panel for three seconds, and your current settings such as volume level and listening mode can be saved. Up to three presets can be registered and easily called up from the front panel button or the remote control.
- Stream songs from compatible devices with the built-in Bluetooth Wireless Technology (ver. 4. 2 + LE). The VSX-834 features A2DP/AVRCP profiles, with support for SBC/AAC codecs. By pressing the Bluetooth button on the front panel, you can directly start up the BT function, even when the unit is in standby.
- The VSX-834 supports pass-through for HDR10, hlg (hybrid log-gamma), and Dolby vision signals. By connecting a compatible source device, you can enjoy these latest video standards on a compatible display. What’s more, All HDMI terminals support 4K (60p/4: 4: 4/24-bit), wide color gamut (BT. 2020), and HDCP 2. 2, so you will have no problem when upgrading to new devices, and can also enjoy premium content such as 4K videos with digital copy protection.
- The VSX-834 is equipped with zone B Audio output terminals for expanding the main zone sound by connecting your wireless headphone Dock. You can listen to the sound playing in the living room via wireless headphones.
- Stream your favorite music
- HDMI Sub Out for media transmission to a projector gaming monitor or TV
- Music made easy with Chromecast built-in
- Immersive Sound from your TV Apps
- 5.2 Channel: The Pyle 5.2 Channel hi fi Home theater receiver is Perfect for Your Home Entertainment system; Gives you 1000 watts peak Power to be used for speakers and subwoofers with 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high Quality amplified audio
- Eq Controls: The Home amplifier with Bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped with next Gen Audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone and volume adjustments
- 4K UHD TV Support: The AV digital amp box is equipped with 4K Ultra HD TV, 3D and Blu ray video pass through support with dedicated RCA subwoofer output; Connect and stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, 3 HDMI, optical/digital audio
- Bluetooth compatible: The Professional Integrated high Powered stereo receiver is equipped with Bluetooth wireless music streaming; Works with today’s latest devices including Smart phones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle Free receiver pairing
- Digital LCD Display: The Home theater surround sound receiver System has a built in LCD Display and AM/FM radio; Features front panel Control center and Integrated over current, short circuit and over voltage Protection; Includes remote Control
- 7.2 channel A/V receiver with 75W per channel
- IP control capability with the HEOS Link turns any stereo system into a wireless zone (HEOS LINK sold separately)
- Dolby Atmos (up to 5.1.2), DTS:X ready (via firmware update), Instant content: Airplay, Android push playback, Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, DLNA 1.5
- Built in Wi Fi and Bluetooth
- 3D and 4K Ultra HD/60Hz full rate pass through with 4:4:4 color resolution. 6 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support
What to Look For in a best entry level av receiver?
Often buyers are reluctant to buy best entry level av receiver. When considering a large purchase, certain things should be examined. Our knowledge and experience of best entry level av receiver will help in making the best options.
Please keep in mind the following criterial before selecting the best entry level av receiver:
Inputs And Outputs
Multi-zone Audio Feature
Automatic speaker calibration is an option on many receivers that makes it easier to calibrate the speakers. The receiver sends test sounds to each speaker and subwoofer, and monitors the sound with a microphone. This allows it to determine the size of the speaker, to measure distance between the speaker and the listener, and to check that the connections are correct. This technology is compatible with surround sound as well as traditional 2-channel home entertainment systems.
Total Harmonic Distortion
What Is The Difference Between An AV Receiver And An Amplifier?An integrated amplifier that includes a preamplifier as well as a power amp in one box is called an AV receiver. It is also known as a receiver. It could be called an amplifier.
A receiver can be described as an integrated amplifier and a tuner that receives AM/FM radio signal. Technically speaking, an AV amplifier should not be used if it doesn't include a tuner. An AV receiver can be used, but it is still a common term.
What Is The Difference Between A Stereo Receiver And A Surround Sound Receiver?Stereo receivers have two channels, and can be used to play stereo audio. Surround sound receivers have five channels or more and can connect to surround sound speakers.
To get surround sound, most people desire surround sound speakers. Stereo amplifiers can be used to enhance the sound quality in your home.
Which A/V Receivers Are Better For Music Or Movies?No. Music can reveal more about sound quality and character than movies soundtracks. Those who listen to music may prefer one brand over another.
What Is The Difference Between 5.2 And 7.2 Receivers?Five surround sound speakers can be connected to a 5.2 receiver, as well as two subwoofers. For the surround sound speakers, there are five options: front left, front right and center.
Seven channels are available for surround sound speakers, and two subwoofer channels. A 7.2 receiver can handle both. The 7.2 speaker arrangement is identical to a standard 5.1 setup, with two additional surround sound speakers at the back and one more in the back.
Is An A/V Receiver Good For Gaming?You might find it possible, particularly if surround sound is important for immersive gaming. Before you purchase, make sure it supports the most recent standards, such as Dolby Atmos (one of the newer HDMI standards), and HDR compatibility. You can also find features like Auto Low Latency Mode and Variable Refresh rate support on the Denon AVRX4700H. While an A/V receiver doesn't need to be used for gaming, it is a great addition if surround sound is important.
What Is Upconverting In An AV Receiver?You connect the player to the receiver with one type of connection and expect that the receiver will output the video using another type.
You might, for example, connect an analog DVD player to the receiver and ask it to transmit this via HDMI.
Only the most expensive receivers are capable of upconverting different video inputs to HDMI output. You will need to transmit the component video signal through a component attached to the receiver if the receiver is unable to upconvert.
Does An AV Receiver Improve Video Quality?Advanced video processing abilities can be found in some AV receivers that improve image quality. The best performance is only possible with high-end, expensive models.
Even if your receiver is not high-end, modern televisions are equipped with excellent video processing algorithms, which will produce a stunning picture, regardless of source.
When new data becomes available, we routinely adjust the list of best entry level av receiver. Please do regularly visit our website for the most up-to-date news.
If you have any questions or difficulties with best entry level av receiver, please do not hesitate to contact us. We'll try our best to do everything we can to assist you if you ask!