The Best Surround Sound System Receiver For 2024
1. Best Of The Best: Sony STRDH590 Home Theater Receiver
Stream your favorite TV shows and movies to your home theater with the Sony STRDH590 Home Theater Receiver. This incredible receiver works as a traditional amplifier and speaker system, but also offers virtual surround sound. It comes with a calibration microphone so you can adjust the speaker settings, FM wire antenna so you can enjoy crystal-clear radio broadcasts, remote control for easy receiver adjustments, and batteries to power up the receiver.
2. Best Bang For The Buck: Marantz NR1711 8K Slim 7.2 Channel
Upgrade your home theater and gaming experience with the Marantz NR1711 8K Slim 7.2-channel receiver. With its amazing 8K HDMI upscaling, advanced technologies like HDR10, HDR10 plus , Dynamic HDR, Quick Media Switching (QMS) and ALLM, you'll enjoy movies and games that are true to life.
3. Best Economical: Sony STR-DH790 7.2-ch AV Receiver
The Sony STR-DH790 7.2-ch AV Receiver produces a stunning 4K quality with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10 and Hybrid Log Gamma delivers greater color, contrast, and brightness. This home theater receiver offers an amazing experience with easy set-up and easy selection of content with quick access to the most popular apps on your TV screen or mobile device.
4. Best Comfortable: Denon AVR-S960H 8K Ultra HD
Denon's AVR-S960H 8K Ultra HD AV receiver is designed to make streaming music, video and games easy. You can stream all your favorite music, TV shows and movies with HEOS or AirPlay 2 or Bluetooth using the built-in Wi-Fi antenna. Even add a HEOS wireless speaker (sold separately) and have a full fledged sound system in your home.
If you want to get the best surround sound experience, then you need a good receiver. You need an audio device that can decode and process all the digital signals coming through your TV, so that you hear all the sounds clearly. A great TV or streaming media player isn’t enough – it needs to work in conjunction with other devices around the house, like your satellite or cable box, gaming console, and even other TVs.
You need a receiver to pull all of these different sources together into one centralized location. The right surround sound system receiver can make your home theater experience truly excellent. Here are our picks for the best surround sound system receivers on the market today.
Before making our recommendations, our specialists spend substantial time researching and analyzing your requirements. Then we found the Sony STRDH590 Home Theater Receiver is the greatest choice for its high-quality performance. If you're looking for another one, consider Marantz NR1711 8K Slim 7.2 Channel.
RELATED: Our top professionals have tested, examined, and ranked the 10 best onkyo receiver of 2024 for you. See our top picks here.
Our Top Picks
- In the box: Receivers include a calibration microphone, FM wire antenna, remote control, batteries
- Dynamic Setup: 4 Stereo Rca Audio Inputs and 2 Digital Audio Outputs (1 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
- Smart Connectivity: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- NOTE: Scroll down the catalog to find installation Manual and User Guide for trouble shooting steps.
- Multi Function System: Enjoy a Multi Channel Stereo Setup, FM Radio Tuner and 1/4 Inches Headphone Jack
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND & USER-FRIENDLY SETUP ASSISTANT comes with an ADVANCED GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE that guides you through the step-by-step process and connects all your audio sources to the stereo amp
- A MUSICAL MASTERPIECE CRAFTED TO FIT IN A SLIM 4" TALL PROFILE - This powerful 7-channel discreet amplifier delivers identical power on all 7 channels (50W x 7). AUTO ECO MODE reduces power consumption without compromising on that superb Marantz sound
- ENJOY MOVIES AND LAG-FREE GAMING WITH THE LATEST CONNECTIVITY - Masterful 8K HDMI upscaling, advanced technologies like HDR10, HDR10 plus , Dynamic HDR, Quick Media Switching (QMS) and ALLM. Upgrade your home theater and gaming experience
- IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND WITH HEIGHTENED REALISM - Supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, DTS:X & DTS Virtual:X. Enjoy virtual sound effects without installing in-ceiling or upward firing speakers in a humble 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup
- ENDLESS CONNECTION POSSIBILITIES - Features 6 HDMI In / 1 output for your favorite audio & video sources. Connect a turntable, subwoofer, speakers & a host of other devices like DVD & Blu-ray players, USB and more for comprehensive surround system
- WHOLE-HOME ENTERTAINMENT BOX - With built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-room Technology, play the same song in every room, or a different one in each room. Connect all your HEOS speakers to the app and get full control everywhere in your home.
- STREAM MUSIC FROM YOUR FAVORITE SOURCES - Spotify, TuneIn, Deezer, Tidal, Netflix, Amazon Prime & others via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, or HEOS app. Plus, enjoy popular voice command services such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri
- AUTO CALIBRATION: Advanced D.C.A.C. analyzes and adjusts the audio for optimal sound in every room
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- LOW PROFILE DESIGN: STRDH790 Bluetooth receiver measures 5 1/4" tall to fit into most AV cabinets
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- SMARTER CONNECTIVITY: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- IN THE BOX: AV receivers include a calibration microphone, FM antenna, remote control and batteries
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- PURE DIRECT FUNCTION: Suppresses front panel noise to provide higher-fidelity sound from all inputs
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- EXTEND THE REACH OF YOUR MUSIC to any room in the house via Wi-Fi, Airplay 2 or Bluetooth with HEOS MULTI-ROOM WIRELESS SPEAKERS like the Denon Home series, without any extra hardware. Get Hi-Fi audio around your home with Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn & more
- FULL VOICE CONTROL COMPATIBILITY WITH AMAZON ALEXA so you can adjust the volume, change tracks & switch inputs absolutely hands-free. Also works with Google Assistant, Apple Siri & integrates with home-automation systems like Josh.ai & Control4 SDPP
- GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR 4K TV - Enjoy the highest quality 3D audio and video knowing that the AVR-S960H is 8K READY WHEN YOU ARE. This high-power amplifier meets the most demanding entertainment needs with the latest technology available
- CONNECT WITH ANY HD/ULTRA HD TV, SUBWOOFER, BLU-RAY PLAYER & TURNTABLE FOR INCREDIBLE STEREO SOUND - USB, 8 HDMI ports (6 In/ 2 Out) with HDCP 2.3 processing, Digital In, Phono input & Network support with a range of wireless connections
- UNMATCHED 3D REALISM FOR YOUR HOME THEATER SYSTEM – Enjoy Immersive surround sound with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization & DTS Virtual:X and crisp, clean picture with advanced video processing, 8K/60Hz, and 4K/120Hz pass-through
- AWARD-WINNING ON-SCREEN SETUP ASSISTANT provides simple, clear instructions to connect your TV, & Audyssey MultEQ XT (with 2 preset options) that accurately calibrates all speakers in your home setup & tunes the AVR for an optimal listening experience
- Does not support pass-through from all 4K/120Hz media sources
- NEXT GEN GAMING - Enjoy a smooth, lag-free gaming experience with spectacular imaging, reduced lag & frame tearing with 4K/120Hz pass-through, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
- ENJOY THE MOST ADVANCED VIDEO TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE with Dynamic HDR and HDR10+. This 7.2 channel receiver delivers clarity, contrast & color, & Quick Media Switching eliminates video delay
- FLEXIBLE SURROUND SOUND: This AV Receiver as the ability to easily switch to different sound sound modes. 5.1ch real surround for theater sound, 2.1ch virtual surround sound for smaller rooms
- OPTIMIZATION: Using Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) you can easily optimize sound based on where you sit in relation to your speakers for the best from your home theater system.
- BLUETOOTH STANDBY: Allows you to turn on your receiver straight from your paired smart phone or tablet. As well as play your favorite tracks.
- 4K PICTURE: The STR-DH590 brings movies to life with 4K HDR pass through with Dolby Vision and flexible surround sound.
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony STRDH590 5.2 multi-channel 4k HDR AV Receiver with Bluetooth, Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Black), Sony SSCS8 2-Way 3-Driver Center Channel Speaker (Black), Sony SSCS3 Stereo Floor-Standing Speaker and Sony 10-Inch Active Subwoofer (Black)
- DIGITAL VFD DISPLAY: The home theater surround sound receiver system has built-in VFD display & AM/FM radio. Features front panel control center & integrated over current, short circuit & over-voltage protection. Includes remote control & power cable
- 4K UHD TV SUPPORT: The AV digital amp box is equipped w/ 4K ultra HD TV, 3D and video pass-through support w/ dedicated RCA subwoofer output. Connect & stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, HDMI, optical/coaxial digital audio
- BLUETOOTH-COMPATIBLE: The professional integrated high powered stereo receiver is equipped w/ bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices including smart phones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle-free receiver pairing
- 7.1 CHANNEL: The Pyle 7.1 Channel Hi-Fi Home Theater Receiver is perfect for your home entertainment system. Gives you 2000 watts peak power to be used for speakers and subwoofers w/ 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high quality amplified audio
- EQ CONTROLS: The home amplifier with bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped w/ next gen audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone and volume adjustments
Best Easy To Use
Polk True Surround III 5.1 Channel Wireless Surround Sound System
- SIMPLE, QUICK SETUP - Connect the sound bar to virtually any TV with the included cable and sync the surround speakers and the subwoofer with the sound bar by just pressing a few buttons. Works with its own remote control and virtually every TV remote
- POLK'S UNWAVERING COMMITMENT, RELIABILITY, AND CRAFTSMANSHIP has made it one of the most trusted names in home audio. Bring out the best in surround sound systems and acoustic excellence, so you can SIT BACK, RELAX AND LISTEN WITH YOUR HEART
- Wireless communication technology: wi-fi
- Included components: subwoofer and soundbar power cords, two surround speaker power supplies
- MULTIPLE CONNECTION OPTIONS - With built-in Bluetooth, pair your compatible iOS/Android devices and wirelessly stream music from your music library or popular streaming services. Features a HDMI ARC, an Aux, and an Optical Input for versatile connectivity
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE 5.1 CH HOME THEATER - With a performance-tuned driver array, the sound bar features (2) 1.75" x 4.5" full-range drivers and (2) 3/4" tweeters, the surrounds feature a 2.75" full-range driver each, and the wireless sub features a 7" woofer
- MAKE VIIRTUALLY ANY TV SOUND GREAT - Features Dolby Digital Surround Sound Decoding that delivers rich, room-filling audio. Hear every word clearly with Polk’s patented Voice Adjust Technology that ensures crisp dialogues for all your movies and TV shows
- Power source type: corded electric
- A FULL SOUND SYSTEM IN A BOX - Elevate your traditional home theater experience with Polk True Surround III that includes a sound bar, a wireless subwoofer, and L & R surround speakers for immersive audio and deep bass without the clutter of speaker wires
- 7 INPUTS: The personal portable digital amp box supports iPod or MP3, USB, micro SD, AUX playback, built-in FM radio w/ digital LCD display, audio input and REC + subwoofer output RCA (L/R) connectors. It also features 2 ¼” microphone inputs
- EQ CONTROLS: The sound amplifying device has crisp buttons for the audio sources and selectors, rotary knob for equalization, mic and master volume adjustments. A remote control is also included in the package for distant audio adjustments
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The professional integrated indoor stereo receiver is equipped with Bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices including smartphones, tablets, laptops and computers with hassle-free receiver pairing
- 750 WATT POWER: The Pyle 6-Channel Bluetooth Home Audio Amplifier is perfect for your PA and home theater entertainment. It gives you 750W peak power which can be used for multi speakers w/ 4-8 ohms impedance allowing you to enjoy high quality audio
- TALK-OVER BUTTON: The compact amplifier features a MIC talk-over function which when activated, the current music or audio being played will be temporarily halted. This function is used in paging, voice-over, and announcements
- PURE CINEMATIC SOUND: 210 W/Ch Select Dynamic Audio Amplification system
- THE PERFECT CONNECTION: Zone 2/Zone B line-out*7 (analog RCA) supports synced or independent D/A playback*8 on compatible audio systems or headphone docks
- FREQUENCY DOUBLING: AccuReflex phase-matching solution for Atmos-enabled speakers
- PRO GAMER: Ultimate 4K Gaming Experience
- BEST OF DOLBY: 5.2.2-channel Dolby Atmos and DTS:X playback
- BLAZING FAST STREAMING: Stream over 5 GHz/2.4 GHz dual-band Wi-Fi supporting the 802.11ac standard
- BUILT TO LAST: Refined chassis, HDMI board, DAC, Digital/Analog inputs, power-amp grounds and power lines
- EASE OF ACCESS: HDMI Sub/Zone 2 Out for media transmission to a second display
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY – This Network CD Player includes 2 Optical Digital Inputs to connect your set-top box, Blu-Ray, DVD Player & more so you can enjoy full dynamic range digital audio playback through various sources
- BLUETOOTH, Wi-Fi & AIRPLAY 2 ENABLED STREAMING – Listen to your favorite tracks on Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM, watch videos on YouTube or Netflix, or simply tune in to any Internal Radio Station from around the world to enjoy unlimited hours of playback
- ALL NEW VOICE-SUPPORT FUNCTIONALITY – Just say the commands out loud to any major voice agent including AMAZON ALEXA, GOOGLE ASSISTANT OR APPLE SIRI and play music, change tracks, turn the volume up or switch inputs hands-free
- MULTI-ROOM CONNECTIVITY WITH HEOS – The Digital Audio Amplifier technology allows you to configure a pair of speakers in one room or two sets of speakers in two separate rooms with independent volume control
- ONE-STOP SOLUTION FOR TODAY'S DIGITAL MUSIC NEEDS – An all-in-one audio receiver (60W x 2 or 30W x 4 channels), disc player for WMA/MP3 (CD-R/RW), AM/FM Tuner, & network streamer. Enjoy Hi-Fi LISTENING WITH EXCEPTIONAL AUDIO DETAILING
- FULL OF FEATURES, YET SO EASY TO USE – Start using this player the moment you unbox it. Simply plug it to an audio source and enjoy full dynamic range digital audio playback of your favorite movies and TV shows
Which Characteristics To Consider On Selecting best surround sound system receiver For 2024?
To make a practical purchase, you guys need to be aware of best surround sound system receiver ultimately. Several key factors must be taken into account and evaluated. Of course, there are some challenges for you during the process of studying products. So we are available here to provide you with comprehensive advice and support.
Thanks to the evaluation supported by high technology, we have come up with some significant features for you to go through. Let’s check it below!
Multi-zone Audio Feature
Inputs And Outputs
Automatic speaker calibration is an option on many receivers that makes it easier to calibrate the speakers. The receiver sends test sounds to each speaker and subwoofer, and monitors the sound with a microphone. This allows it to determine the size of the speaker, to measure distance between the speaker and the listener, and to check that the connections are correct. This technology is compatible with surround sound as well as traditional 2-channel home entertainment systems.
Total Harmonic Distortion
Does An AV Receiver Improve Video Quality?Advanced video processing abilities can be found in some AV receivers that improve image quality. The best performance is only possible with high-end, expensive models.
Even if your receiver is not high-end, modern televisions are equipped with excellent video processing algorithms, which will produce a stunning picture, regardless of source.
Is An A/V Receiver Good For Gaming?You might find it possible, particularly if surround sound is important for immersive gaming. Before you purchase, make sure it supports the most recent standards, such as Dolby Atmos (one of the newer HDMI standards), and HDR compatibility. You can also find features like Auto Low Latency Mode and Variable Refresh rate support on the Denon AVRX4700H. While an A/V receiver doesn't need to be used for gaming, it is a great addition if surround sound is important.
What Is The Difference Between A Stereo Receiver And A Surround Sound Receiver?Stereo receivers have two channels, and can be used to play stereo audio. Surround sound receivers have five channels or more and can connect to surround sound speakers.
To get surround sound, most people desire surround sound speakers. Stereo amplifiers can be used to enhance the sound quality in your home.
What Is The Difference Between 5.2 And 7.2 Receivers?Five surround sound speakers can be connected to a 5.2 receiver, as well as two subwoofers. For the surround sound speakers, there are five options: front left, front right and center.
Seven channels are available for surround sound speakers, and two subwoofer channels. A 7.2 receiver can handle both. The 7.2 speaker arrangement is identical to a standard 5.1 setup, with two additional surround sound speakers at the back and one more in the back.
What Is The Difference Between An AV Receiver And An Amplifier?An integrated amplifier that includes a preamplifier as well as a power amp in one box is called an AV receiver. It is also known as a receiver. It could be called an amplifier.
A receiver can be described as an integrated amplifier and a tuner that receives AM/FM radio signal. Technically speaking, an AV amplifier should not be used if it doesn't include a tuner. An AV receiver can be used, but it is still a common term.
Which A/V Receivers Are Better For Music Or Movies?No. Music can reveal more about sound quality and character than movies soundtracks. Those who listen to music may prefer one brand over another.
What Is Upconverting In An AV Receiver?You connect the player to the receiver with one type of connection and expect that the receiver will output the video using another type.
You might, for example, connect an analog DVD player to the receiver and ask it to transmit this via HDMI.
Only the most expensive receivers are capable of upconverting different video inputs to HDMI output. You will need to transmit the component video signal through a component attached to the receiver if the receiver is unable to upconvert.