The Best Ham Radio Transceiver For 2023
The BaoFeng UV-82C dual band radio transceiver is the perfect radio for both novice and experts who are looking for a reliable, cost effective, and compact HAM radio. With a compact size, the UV-82C is easy to use and comes with high / low power settings, frequency range, FCC Part 90 certified, busy talk around mode and VOX talk around mode for seamless communication on busy channels.
2. Runner Up: President Lincoln II Plus 10 and 12 Meter Ham Radio
President Lincoln II Plus was designed to be more capable, versatile, reliable and affordable than all the others. The new LINCOLN 2 PLUS is a solid state low-power AM/SSB/FM transceiver that includes the HAM radio license. It has a built-in speaker and microphone for voice communications and it operates on 3 AA batteries or optional AC/DC adapter.
3. Best Easy To Use: TYT TH-9800D Plus Version Quad Band Mobile Transceiver Radio
A commercial-grade multi-band radio, the TYT TH-9800D Plus Version Quad Band Mobile Transceiver has 809 memory channels, DTMF mic, Digital FM broadcast band radio and high/mid1/mid2/low output power levels to deliver superior performance. The product features a high-efficiency digital signal processor and is engineered with a noise-filtering DSP that provides up to 50 dB of protection against interference in certain radio bands.
4. Best Convenient: QYT KT-8900 20W Dual Band 2m/70cm Mobile Radios Car Transceiver
The QYT KT-8900 20W Dual Band 2m/70cm Mobile Radios Car Transceiver is a VHF UHF radio with the ability to switch between narrow and wide band modes. Its 20 watt output power allows you to reach further distances and its adjustable antenna ensures that you can use it in any situation. This transceiver has a built-in 1 year warranty and will work with any vehicle that has 12 volt DC power source.
Ham radio is a great hobby and it’s perfect for anyone who wants to stay in touch with friends and family. Ham radio also offers many other benefits such as excellent public speaking training, emergency communication skills, and keeping up with the latest developments in technology.
If you want to explore ham radio but aren’t sure which transceiver is best for you, this article provides an overview of the top Best ham radio transceiver on the market today.
However, after investing in many, we've come up with a name that's worthy of your requirement: BaoFeng UV-82C Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Radio Transceiver. If you desire extra features not included in this model, you might look into another one, President Lincoln II Plus 10 and 12 Meter Ham Radio. It could better suit your needs.
RELATED: As a result of our experts' research from 12,147 user reviews, we've listed 8 most powerful gmrs radio of 2023. Check them here
Our Top Picks
- FCC Part 90 Certified. The UV-82C is a UV-82 that has initial limitations applied in order to make it FCC approved. The radio will have a Part 90 label manufacturer applied. Requires programming via a PC for initial use. Software is available free from BaoFengTech. The PC03 FTDI Cable is recommended for easy computer programming - Uses CHIRP Software
- Features: VOX Talk Around Mode Busy Channel Lock-Out (BCLO) Transmission Time Out Channel Receive Only (TX OFF) Frequency Reverse Squelch Tail Elimination (STE) Work Mode (Selectable VFO/ Menu Lockout) Alpha Numeric Channel Storage PC Programmable
- Kit Includes: UV-82C Radio, 1800mAh Battery, V85 Dual Band Antenna, CH-8 Charger, CH-8 110V Adapter, Earpiece Kit, Wrist Strap, Belt Clip, User Manual
- BTECH is proud to be in the USA, which allows you to have the best available local support for any issue that may arise. BTECH only engineers and develops radio products. That brand focus allows you to have the best available radios and accessories with the most features, with real USA warranty and support.
- High / Low Power Settings (5W/1W); Frequency Range:VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- Same as LINCOLN II but 12 meter band added, key "CH19/9" replaced by "Emergency Channel 1 and 2" programmable by user; HF output power 35W PEP SSB instead of 31W PEP SSB, 35W FM instead of 28W; AM is same 12W RMS 48WPEP.
- Public Address; Vox function (hands-free); ANL filter, NB and HI-CUT; RF Gain / Mic gain; Clarifier; Roger Beep; Front microphone plug; External loudspeaker jack.
- VFO Mode w/ continuous scanning; Multi-functions LCD display; Frequencies display; S-meter; Channels and memories scan; 6 Memories; CTCSS (38 tones); DCS (104 codes).
- Rotary switch and Up/down channel selector; Volume adjustment and ON/OFF; Manual squelch and ASC; RF Power; MENU function key; Dim; Mode switch AM/FM/LSB/USB/CW.
- Dual watch; Key locking; SWR (Power Reading/SWR); Preset emergency (EMG 1/2); TOT (Time Out Timer) adjustable.
- ★★ One Proven Model, Lots of USERS or TURORIALS on Youtube, Google, Facebook Group. PLEASE CONTACT US AT ANY TIME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. WE WILL RESPONSE YOU WITHIN 24 HOURS.
- ★★ Frequency: TX: 28-29.7/50-54/144-148/420-450MHz, RX: 26-33/47-54/108-180/320-512/750-950MHz (P.S. AM mode selectable on VHF receive frequencies for Air Band reception), Output Power VHF: 50/20/10/5W UHF: 35/20/10/5W.
- ★★ Features: V/V, U/U, V/U Simultaneous Receive, V+U Cross-Band Repeater, Full Dual Display and Receive, High/Mid1/Mid2/Low Power Setting, Wide/Mid/Narrow Bandwidth Selectable, CTCSS/DCS, DTMF, 2 Tone & 5 Tone, Voice Compander & Scrambler, Remote Detachable Faceplate, 809 Alphanumeric Memory Channels, SQL, Scan, TOT, Full Direct Entry Keypad Mic.
- ★★ Welcome to VMUKSAN, The Latest Plus Version of TYT TH-9800D, 50W/40W Full Quad Band Dual Display FM Amateur Mobile Radio/Transceiver, A MUST HAVE For all HAMs, FUN & GREAT VALUE as BASE STATION. Size: 5.5 x 1.6 x 6.6", Weight: 2.65 lbs. Package Content: TYT TH-9800D, Mic Hanger, Power Cable, Mounting Bracket & Screws, User Manual, Programming Cable & Factory Disc.
- ★★ Free Programming Cable & Software DISC Included (P.S. Driver Installation NEEDED, Factory Software Download from DISC or TYT Official Website), CHIRP Software Supported (Model TYT TH-9800) for easier programming; Pair with 4 Bands antenna (Single SO-259s Connector); Operating Voltage: 13.8V (NO 24V).
- ★★ Features: Dual Band & Quad Watch & Quad Standby, 200 Channels, MSK/5Tone/2Tone/DTMF/CTCSS/DCS, PTT ID, Auto Lock, Remote stun, Remote Kill.
- ★★ USEFUL INFO on MIKLOR site about Specification, FAQs & Reference, Driver, Software, Programming issue, Operation. One Proven Model, Lots of USERS or TURORIALS on Youtube, Google, Facebook Group.
- ★★ Frequency: VHF UHF 2m 70cm; Output Power: 20Watt, Narrow/Wide Band Selectable.
- ★★ Free Programming Cable Included (P.S. NO FTDI CABLE, Driver Installation NEEDED, Choose the RIGHT VERSION according to your COMPUTER SYSTEM); CHIRP Software Supported; Recommended Antenna Nagoya UT-72, Operating Voltage: 13.8V
- ★★ QYT KT-8900 Mini Ham Mobile Radio. Chassis Size: 5.7 x 1.9 x 7.5", Weight: 2.6lbs. Package Contents: QYT KT-8900, Mic Hanger, DC Power Cable Cigarette Plug Connector, Mounting Bracket & Screws, User Manual, Cable.
- Smart Search Operation - DTMF Direct Access Microphone Included - Wide/Narrow Deviation Selection - RF-Squelch
- CTCSS and DCS Encode/Decode Built in - Versatile Scanning Capability - WX Channels with "Severe Weather" Alert
- Massive Heatsink guarantees 80 Watts of RF Power with No Cooling Fan Needed (Four selectable power output levels are provided: 80/30/10/5 Watts) - Loud 3 Watts of Audio Output for noisy environments - Large 6 Digit Backlit LCD ensure excellent visibility
- Excellent Receiver Performance - Alpha-Numeric Channel Display - 200 Memory Channels for serious users
- Interactive Programming Menu - Supply Voltage Display - 4-level Display Dimmer - Dual Watch FT
- Transmits the 144, 220 & 430Mhz Amateur Ham Radio Bands, & receives 0.5-999Mhz!
- Compact, Mil-Spec, Waterproof & Submersible Tri Band Ham Radio!
- Output Power is 5 Watts on 2 meter & 70cm, & 1.5W on 222Mhz, with multiple lower power settings!
- Included in the box: Yaesu VX-6R Tri-Band Transceiver, FNB-80LI 1250mAh battery, SAD-11B Wall Charger, YHA-67 Antenna, Belt Clip, Manual and Warranty Card
- Additional features include a convenient access key for Vertex Standard's WIRES (Wide-coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System), a transmit Time-Out Timer (TOT), Automatic Power-Off (APO), Automatic Repeater Shift (ARS), Yaesu's exclusive ARTS (Auto-Range Transponder System) which "beeps" the user when you move out of communications range with another ARTS equipped station, plus provision for reduction of the TX deviation in areas of high channel congestion.
- Receives 108-520Mhz and 700-999.99Mhz (less cell), Transmits 144-148Mhz & 430-470Mhz, Locking mode prevents accidental changes of frequency.
- One Thousand memory Channels, NOAA Weather Alert, Receives Emergency channels in 800-900Mhz, RF Power Output: 5W (High) / 2W (Middle) / 5W (Low)
- Dual Band VHF/UHF 2 Meter & 70cm Amateur Radio.
- Includes 1400mA Battery, Charger, antenna & belt clip.
- CTCSS/DCS (PL & DPL), DTMF, AlphaNumeric Display, Lighted Keypad, Scan modes.
- CTCSS and DCS Encode/Decode with Split Tone and DCS Encode-Only Capability
- DSQ (Digital Squelch Code)
- 220 Memory Channels with Alpha-Numeric Tags (Maximum 8 Characters)
- TX 144 - 148 MHz -RX 136 - 174 MHz 65W of Solid RF Power within a Compact Footprint
- Modulation Modes: FM Analog. Loud and Crystal Clear Front Panel Speaker
- ➤ PORTABLE SIZE: Very small in size and ultra portable (6.3*3.9*1.8in) with an original speaker mic, convenient to carry. Please make sure your antenna compatible with the machine.
- ➤ 2019 Upgraded Firmware: ❶ Bugs fixed when using CW. ❷ Added VOX function that frees your hand to communicate without pressing the PTT key.
- ➤ GREAT HARDWARE: Xiegu X5105 is equipped with a 3.6 inch large LCD screen and built-in 3800mAh large capacity battery pack. Besides, it also comes with a trestle for desktop operation.
- ➤ We provide a 1-year warranty on the Xiegu X5105. As usual, if you modify the radio's hardware, the warranty is void. (Note：Please avoid a continuously use of the machine for more than 2 hours in case that being overheated. )
- ➤ IF OUTPUT: With IF signal output (1 IF: 70.455MHz, 2 IF: 10.695MHz, 3 IF 455kHz (FM)). Built in ATU; Built in AF-DSP digital noise reduction processor.
- 【NEW Upgraded Free】Visit QYT official website to download. CHIRP support. Easy to program with the PC, Free Cable inside Packages, fit for Microsoft XP, Window 7/8/10
- QYT Tri-Band Mobile Radio, Dual Watch, Dual Standby, Best Choice For New Ham User, Radio Size: 3.85*1.37*4.64In Weight: 0.9lb
- FCC Part Certified and comply with Part 15B + Part 97
- 【Package】QTY KT-8900R Mobile Radio, Microphone, Car Power Cable, Fuse, Mounting Bracket, Screw Sets, User Manual
- 【Function】CTCSS/DCS/5Tone/2Tone, Comes with 2 Tone,5 Tone, DTMF functions, RF Output Power: 25W/20W (VHF/UHF)
What to Look For in a best ham radio transceiver?
Channels & Privacy Codes
Weight And Size
An entirely waterproof radio is an option. Many models are waterproof and can withstand severe rain. Some models can be submerged up to 30 minutes without causing any damage. A model that floats will be your best option if your radio is used for fisherman, fishing or crossing open waters. If you drop your model accidentally, it can be easily picked up from the water surface.
Number Of Handsets
What Is The Life Expectancy Of A 2 Way Radio?Two-way radios of commercial grade are made to comply with Military Specifications as well as Intrusion Protection standards. These radios can live for a long time if they are maintained and used in accordance with the specifications. Two-way radios can last up to 10 years. But radio batteries rarely last more than 3 to 4 years.
How Many Radios Can I Use One Location?You can use as many radios at any location you wish, regardless of the license. To manage communication better, we suggest that the channel's users be limited to ten.
What Is 2 Way Radio VOX?Voice activation is VOX. VOX promises hands-free operation. "Speak and the radio will open to broadcast your message." However, voice activation should actually be called sound activation. The VOX function on a 2-way radio can't distinguish between a call to help or the usual grunts, groans and grunts of normal physical activity. VOX may cause more problems than it solves. We do not recommend VOX being used in commercial applications.
How Far Do 2 Way Radios Broadcast?Broadcast distances of commercial-grade hand-held radios are generally between one and two miles. While VHF radios can broadcast further, they do not penetrate as far. UHF radios transmit a greater distance and have better penetration.
Can I Change The Frequencies On My 2 Way Radios?Many commercial-grade 2 way radios can be programmed from either a computer onboard or via a PC. Although you cannot change VHF to UHF, the radio can be programmed with a PC or on-board programming. However, it can alter the frequencies in the band.
Is VHF Or UHF Better?The frequency band that a radio can operate within is called VHF (very high frequency), or UHF [ultra high frequency]. VHF operates between 136 and 174 MHz, while UHF operates between 400 and 512 MHz. Wave length is shorter the higher frequency. A signal will travel farther if it has a longer wave length. It is easier for the signal's to penetrate if the wave length is shorter. VHF broadcasts better over open water and from an unobstructed location to another. For broadcasting through buildings or other obstructions, UHF is better than VHF.
Why Do 2 Way Radios Have Multiple Channels?Every channel can be programed at a different frequency. Most modern 2 way radios can have between 4 and 16 channels, although some radios may have up to 256 channels. Channel one will be the only channel that broadcasts on the frequency being used. It is beneficial for commercial applications to have different communication depending on the work group or whereabouts. Radios can be used by schools to broadcast the news. Teachers and administrators might prefer one channel.
There are numerous points to pick from in general, but doing so well may help you be more convenient and save time! When selecting a best ham radio transceiver, pay close attention to the elements listed above, and don't forget to verify the safety.
Have you picked a product like that after reading our article on how to choose and top the best ham radio transceiver? Hopefully, the information provided will assist you in selecting the best option for you.